Do you have an Acer notebooks or laptop and you want to re-install Windows XP? But unfortunately, the crappy DVD-ram drive is broken. Well, I have a solution for you there guys.
What you’ll need:
- USB_PREP8 – [download 1] [download 2]
- PeToUSB – [download 1] [download 2], and
- Bootsect.exe – [download 1] [download 2]
- A Windows XP image file (an iso file that mout in your virtual drive)
- USB flash drive (I’ve used 1gb flash drive)
- A computer that enables you to boot from a USB Disk/Drive
Okay, you have the files. Let’s go to the next step.
- Extract the Bootsect.zip
- Next step, extract USB_Prep8 and PeToUSB
- Copy the PeToUSB executable to USB_prep8 folder
- Inside the USB_Prep8 folder double click the executable named usb_prep8.cmd and a command line window will show.
- Press Any Key to continue. After this, a window will pop-up.
- The setting inside that window as all pre-configured and all you have to do is just click the Start
- Once the format is comple, DO NOT COLOSE THE WINDOW. Just leave this as it is.
- Open a new command line window — Window Start Button -> Run then type cmd. Or, press WINDOW KEY + R
- Inside the command line window, go to the location where you extract your bootsect.exe (cd <folder location) and type or paste the command below
bootsect.exe /nt52 R:
- Take note that R: is the drive letter of your flash drive. Please change it accordingly 😉 And, take note that you must not have any open files under this drive. This part writes a correct boot sector for you to enable the usb drive to boot upon startup.
- If it success, you will be prompted “Bootcode was successfully updated on all targeted volumes.“
- Now, close this command window. NOT the prep8 command window ok.
- Now you will see a list of command from 0 – 5 and F and Q
- You’ll need to enter a correct command here:
- Press 1 and enter. A folder browse window will open. You should locate where your Windows XP setup files (or, your CD rom that has your windows xp cd on it)
- Press 2 and enter a letter NOT currently assigned to your computer system. Example: X
- Press 3 and enter the drive letter of your USB flash drive.
- Press 4 to start the process
- The setup will prompt if it is ok to format your drive. It’s ok. Just press Y and enter
- Once the format is complete, it will prompt you again. Just press ENTER to continue and it will start copying files to a temporary drive.
- Once it’s complete, press ENTER to continue.
- Next, you will be prompted if you want to copy files to your flash drive. You will be clicking YES button (don’t you?)
- Once the copy is complete, a popup window will prompt you if you would like your USB drive to be prefered bootdrive <drive letter>: Just click YES
- Now unmount the virtual drive.
- And it’s done!
If you follow the steps above then you have successfully created a bootable flash drive that includes your Windows XP installation. We will now proceed to the next step which is configuring your computer to boot on usb drive.
- Insert your USB flash drive into your computer the Power On your pc.
- Setup your BIOS to boot on USB Drive (usually, try pressing F2 to go to the BIOS settings, or see your motherboard guide)
- Navigate to the Boot Options and select USB drive as first priority upon bootup. (or see your motherboard guide on how you will prioritize the bootup process)
- After you setup press F10 and enter to save and restart the sytem.
- Now, after reboot, you will now then prompted a 1 and 2 selection. Press 2 to go to Setup
- And last, you will now seeing a Windows Installation window.
If you want further instruction regarding installing Windows operating system please go to Microsoft Website.
If this guide is not that clear, go to this website: http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/11/installing-windows-xp-from-usb-thumb.html